Shaving creams or shaving foam is a frothy cosmetic cream applied to body hair, usually facial hair, to facilitate shaving. The use of cream achieves three effects: lubricates the cutting process, swells keratin and desensitizes the skin. Shaving creams commonly consist of an emulsion of oils, soaps or surfactants, and water.
Naturally, if you’re a facial hair-free man, you’ll be all too aware of the importance of having a decent shaving cream. Even in these beard-tolerating times, however, there’s a place in every man’s bathroom cabinet for a quality shaving cream. Although razors and wet-shaves are particularly well suited for creating a clean-cut look, they are also second to none when it comes to grooming, tidying up beards and hairlines, and cleaning up the back of the neck.
The majority of men should know how important the shaving cream is for a good shave, to ensure smooth blade passes and to reduce discomfort. But if you’ve never made a switch from a basic product to a premium shave cream, you might not know how good you can have it. In this post, we’re taking you through the Best Men’s Shaving Creams.
Things to Consider When Buying Shaving Cream
However, before we get to our shave cream reviews, we’ll highlight some of the key features that you need to keep in mind when reading the reviews themselves in this first paragraph.
Remember them, and they’ll help you find the best men’s shaving cream to suit your needs, as each function would be more or less important depending on what you’re looking for in the cream to apply to your precious little head.
- Type of Application.
- Your Hair.
Your Skin Type
Not all men’s shaving creams are made equal, especially when it comes to your specific type of skin If you have sensitive skin, do not buy shaving creams that are astringent, as they may irritate your skin. People with oily skin can benefit from an astringent as it can minimize oil and avoid obstructed pores. Lastly, dry skin guys must stick to a glycerin-based product. Glycerin provides protection to the skin so that nicks and cuts are prevented when shaving.
Avoid Bad Ingredients and Harsh Chemicals
The best cream is free of harmful ingredients. Other chemicals to be avoided include parabens, SLS, SLES, and certain fragrances.
- Parabens are used in the manufacture of many male grooming products because they prevent the growth of bacteria, but they are also related to health conditions such as allergies and asthma.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, also known as SLS, extracts natural oils from your skin that can disrupt your appearance and lead to blemishes and irritation.
- SLES, also known as sodium laurate sulfate, can irritate sensitive skin. It is used to reduce the side effects of petroleum products on your skin and body, but it can also lead to organ damage and toxicity.
- If you’re a sensitive skin man, you might want to shop around for unscented shaving cream. The word “fragrance” that describe any of the 3,000 chemicals, many of which are not skin-friendly. If the product does not say “all-natural” or “organic” ingredients, be cautious.
Good Ingredients That Enhance Skin Care
Instead of breaking it down and causing unnecessary pain, the best shave cream feeds and strengthens your hair. Choosing an almond and jojoba oil cream will help soothe your skin and give you the perfect shave. Likewise, products containing essential oils such as lavender, sandalwood, and eucalyptus leave the skin feeling incredibly fresh and smelling.
Good Lubrication Means A Smooth Shave
Most experts recommend that shaving soap offers a more concentrated lather for a better shave, but to prepare the soap for a wet shave you have to put in a little more effort. Ultimately, shaving soap is a little more difficult, and you may need a few attempts to decide how much water a good lather needs. If in the mornings you want a close but quick shave, we do not suggest that you try it.
On the other hand, good shaving cream will lather up quite quickly as there is no water is needed, making it perfect for a smooth, easy grooming routine. We highly recommend that you stick to creams or gels unless you are committed to having a really old-school wet shave with a straight or Safety razor.
Scented vs Unscented Creams
All soap and cream shaving come in fragrant and unscented forms. If your skin is prone to breakouts and is resistant to irritants, you may want to skip a scent-containing shaving item. Luckily, for their quality ingredients and sensitivity, any creams we tested below have been studied, so any scented choices on our list are safe bets.
Get A Shaving Brush
The use of a proper shaving brush has many advantages. For example, with a shave comb, you can only achieve a really rich lather. Often, the razor softens and raises your facial hair for a smoother, quicker slice as you apply your shaving cream. Eventually, the best shaving brushes gently exfoliate and extract dead skin cells, leaving the face smooth and conditioned. If you’re looking for value, it’s worth investing in buying a top-rated shaving brush.
Top 10 Best Shaving Cream For Men
[table id=11 /]
Billy Jealousy is a grooming brand that has been reportedly used by a number of celebrities. This rich, foam-free cream protects the skin while you shave for a smooth, irritation-free finish. It creates a silky barrier between your skin and your razor to prevent razor burn, nicks, bumps, and ingrown hairs.
- It provides superior razor glide and virtually eliminates irritation and cuts. It doesn’t contain alcohol or menthol.
- Wash face with warm water. Massage a quarter-sized amount onto wet face. Shave and then rinse with warm water.
- Hydroplane Super Slick Shave Cream is ideal for all skin types, including sensitive skin.
- Dragging a blade across your face every day doesn’t have to be a grind. Reinvent the lost art of smooth shaving with Hydroplane Shave Cream.
- Superslick and latherless.
- Balanced ingredient profile.
- Best overall shave cream.
- Expensive (but worth it).
Frequently Asked Questions
Where is this shave cream made?
The USA. Billy Jealousy is based out of Dallas, TX.
Is it all-natural?
No. There are some chemically derived ingredients.
What razor is this shave cream best suited for?
Cartridge and disposable razors. Although the slick lubricating properties will make it great for men who shave with safety razors as well.
Old Bond Street Taylor is usually going to shave cream for many men to take their first step into the wet shaving world, and with good reason. Made to the highest quality standards in the industry, you can buy a container of this cream for around $20, making it a vital investment for men with sensitive skin who want to keep their facial hair under control without causing breakouts.
- The cream helps prepare your beard for shaving and moisturizes your face
- A classic fragrance with top notes of geranium, lavender, rosemary and liquid amber supported by a heart of carnation, fern and orange blossom resting on a sumptuous base of patchouli, sandalwood, powdery musk, and rock rose
- The cream contains a plastic bowl making lathering easy, Sandalwood shaving cream bowl.
- Product normal consistency is that of a cream and is recommended to be stored at room temperature, 59 degrees Fahrenheit to 77 degrees Fahrenheit The cream may reposition during shipping as the manufacturer has left space between cream and top of the container.
- Manufacturer recommend using within 12 months after opening.
- Old school shave cream.
- Perfect for traditional razor systems.
- Requires shave brush for best results.
- Long time to prepare.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where is Taylor of Old Bond Street made?
Do you need a separate bowl or mug when using this shave cream?
Yes. Unlike shave soaps that can be lathered in the same bowl, given the softer consistency, you will need to use a mug with this shave cream.
Is the fragrance light or heavy?
It comes across as strong at first but quickly subsides.
Is this only for safety razors?
It can be used with any razor, however, men who rely on cartridge razors may not like the additional work in the morning of prepping a shaving cream.
Truefitt & Hill recognized as the finest traditional gentlemen’s barber and perfumer in London has provided discerning gentlemen with only the finest in grooming products and services. Our offering truly gives men the opportunity to look and feel they’re very best. The Trafalgar Shaving Cream is one of our glycerin-based shaving creams that are an excellent way to achieve an incredibly close, yet comfortable shave.
- The Trafalgar Shaving Cream is one of our glycerin-based shaving creams that are an excellent way to achieve an incredibly close, yet comfortable shave.
- Although not required, we recommend using one of our badger haired shaving brushes for the optimal shaving experience.
- The Trafalgar scent: Spicy, light, and captivating with top notes of Cedar and Sandalwood complemented by subtle hints of Jasmine and Spice.
- Our products are formulated with an exquisite blend of rare, natural and sophisticated essences.
- Glycerin based.
- Designed for a very smooth shave.
- Excellent lubricant & Moisturizer.
- Not Long-Lasting once opened.
Cremo Shave Cream is a renegade compared to the other popular shave creams. Our shave creams are made of super-slick molecules that provide a smooth interface between sharp blade and sensitive skin, you’ll enjoy easily close shave while battling rash burns and skin irritation.
- Superior shaving cream that fights nicks and razor burn, while giving you a close, comfortable shave.
- It contains unique, impossibly slick molecules, allowing your razor to glide effortlessly over your skin to leave skin feeling smooth.
- Packed with nourishing aloe, calendula and papaya extract, perfect for women with sensitive skin, leaving your skin amazingly soft and smooth.
- Made with the best, natural ingredients including Macadamia Seed Oil, Aloe, Calendula Extract, Lemon Extract, Papaya Extract, and Olive Leaf Extract.
- Wickedly latherless.
- It contains Macadamia Seed Oil and Aloe Vera for Healthy Skin.
- It provides a super close shave.
- Best budget-friendly shave cream.
- May be a bit too thin of a layer for some.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where is this shave cream made?
USA. Cremo is based out of Laguna Beach, CA.
Can this be shared with a significant other?
Yes. Both the ‘Original’ and ‘Cooling’ scents are unisex.
Best suited for men who shave through traditional means (straight or safety razor), Proraso shave creams rely on a traditional shaving brush in order to whip up a rich and luxurious lather.
- The original Proraso shaving classic, for every type of skin or beard. Eucalyptus oil tones and purifies, while menthol helps cool, refresh and revitalize.
- Eucalyptus Oil is also there to aid the skin, is included for its ability to tone and purify it.
- The formula does not contain parabens, silicone, mineral oil, or SLS.
- Use a dime-size amount of shave cream to a brush or hands, add water to work up a rich lather. Apply to damp skin.
- It contains Eucalyptus oil to tone & purifies the skin.
- It also contains Menthol to Cool and Refresh.
- Creates a very rich lather.
- A Little to thick to use with disposable razors.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where is this shave cream made?
Italy. The company is based in Fiesole, Italy (just outside of Florence).
Can this shave cream be shared between men and women?
Yes. Menthol is a fair gender-neutral scent.
Can you use this without a shave brush?
Not really. Results won’t be nearly as good, which also will lead to excess waste.
The Art of Shaving Shaving Cream softens and lifts the beard for a close and comfortable shave, and protects the skin from irritation and razor burn. The ingredients found in the shaving cream are pretty standard of most luxury shaving creams.
- The Art of Shaving Shaving Cream softens and lifts the beard for a close and comfortable shave, and protects the skin from irritation and razor burn.
- It generates a rich and foamy lather that helps protect and hydrate the skin from irritation by improving razor glide.
- Always shave during or after a hot shower. Lather up a small amount of Shaving Cream with or without a brush.
- The Art of Shaving has really put a lot of thought into formulating what is a high-quality shaving cream here.
- Packed with coconut & essential oils.
- Makes a thick, luxurious lather.
- Can be applied with Brush or Fingers.
- High Price for a Small Jar.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is this really worth the money?
Yes, especially if you convert to traditional wet shaving.
Where is this shaving cream made?
USA. P&G is based in Cincinnati, OH.
Would this make a good gift?
Given the luxury association with this brand, any man should be happy to get their hands on this shave cream.
This outstanding shaving cream utilizes the many benefits of antioxidant-rich, naturally-derived caffeine. It will give you an exceptional shave, help reduce the appearance of redness and keep your skin looking and feeling healthy all day. A little goes a long way.
- Products are made with safe, natural, and organic ingredients. Our shaving cream provides great cushion, glide, and leaves skin feeling moisturized and healthy-looking.
- Innovative and effective formulations that soothe skin and help reduce irritation and bumps. Great for sensitive skin. Actually enjoy shaving again.
- Cool for your carry-on. Concentrated formulas in TSA, travel-friendly sizes.
- Made in the USA.
- It is also a good shaving cream, designed to help the razor blade (or blades) slide easily across the face.
- Try a different range of Blades.
- Great selection of quality products.
- Would make a great gift for someone new to safety razors.
- Not a long term option.
Jack Black products are engineered for excellence and carefully formulated with the finest ingredients to be highly effective. This Jack Black Beard Lube Conditioning Shave is packed with natural ingredients that work together to soften facial hair, making shaving easy and pain-free.
- Jack Black Beard Lube Conditioning Shave not only softens facial hair, but it also holds in moisture.
- For best results, use a small amount of Beard Lube Conditioning Shave into your slightly moist beard when shaving.
- Macadamia Nut Oil is a high-quality oil that penetrates below the skin’s surface to hydrate and softens skin.
- Glycerin is a natural humectant that helps to maintain the skin’s moisture balance.
- Phospholipids are a rich source of essential fatty acids that bind moisture to the skin and support the natural skin barrier.
- Heather is infused into our formula to provide soothing, anti-irritant properties.
- Our advanced silicone blend prevents a clogged razor blade and permits a superior glide, while Menthol provides cooling and anti-bacterial benefits to the skin.
- Doesn’t Lather, Transparent Product is Hard to See On Skin.
Another product coming from Jolly Old England, this is another very traditional style of shaving cream. With such first-rate nourishing properties, shaving with coconut oil will prevent dryness to the skin. Both sensitive and normal skin will luxuriate in its rich lather.
- Coconut Oil is a natural antiseptic and is very moisturizing on the skin- it is a perfect addition to shaving products as it will help heal the skin during and after the shaving process.
- Use with a good quality shaving brush and a few drops of warm water, lather for around 1 minute until a rich, thick and emulsion-like lather is formed then paint onto the face.
- Ingredients: Aqua (Water), Stearic Acid, Myristic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Coconut Acid, Glycerin, Parfum (Fragrance), Triethanolamine, Sodium Hydroxide, Methylparaben, Propylparaben.
- Vegetable-based Coconut Oil Shaving Cream.
- Suitable for all skin types, especially dry and sensitive skin.
- Tropical coconut aroma.
- Also available in a smaller 75g tube which is great for travel.
- Made in the UK.
- Not a Great Skin Moisturizer.
eShave Shaving Cream lathers instantly, delivering essential conditioning ingredients to prime the skin for shaving. A rich shave cream that opens pores and softens hair for a close and comfortable shave. Best when applied with a badger hair brush to generate a rich lather and eliminate shaving irritation. Paraben and sulfate-free.
- This product is all about giving a comfortable shave but with ethical considerations too.
- Made with glycerin and coconut oil to leave your skin smooth and moisturized after shaving.
- Lather up a dab of shaving cream with a shaving brush or with fingers. Use warm water to obtain better results.
- It generates a rich, creamy and warm lather to prepare for shaving.
- Opens pores, softens hair and protects skin to allow for a close and pain-free shave.
- Eliminates shaving irritation and razor burn when using proper shaving techniques.
- Small Amount of Product.
To really enjoy your shaving ritual, you have to get the choice of shaving creams right. Once you have learned to treat yourself to something good in the morning because it is noticeably soothing, then you will no longer want to do without a good shaving. The above-mentioned shaving creams are the best choice for men as they are all compatible with all skin types, especially sensitive ones. Their organic and natural ingredients such as essential vitamins and oils are guaranteed to moisturize and protect the skin against irritations, razor bumps, cuts, and nicks. Now you can feel more relaxed when heading to the bathroom for that ‘great shaving experience’, rather than seeing it merely as a compulsory exercise.