The Philips Hp6420 Satinelle Epilator has, surprisingly, a few weaknesses when it comes to the equipment, function, and comfort. Nevertheless, it is absolutely worth the money and if you are looking for a no-frills epilator, this is the one for you.
The Braun and Philips battle are not only fought in the shaver market but also when it comes to epilators and there are many models from both companies. In general, Philips epilators are considered to be of better quality than Braun and are also cheap at the same time. Currently going for around $32, the Philips HP6420 is surely a bargain, especially when compared with other epilators which go for three to four times that amount.
Philips HP6420 Epilator Specifications
- In addition to the HP6420, there is only a power cord and a small cleaning brush in the package. The cable is really long, which is important because a wireless operation is not possible with the Philips device.
- A relaxed epilation in the bath is therefore out of the question but the cable is long enough to provide freedom of movement. Furthermore, the epilator head can withstand water and is therefore easily washed under a faucet which is a hygienic way of cleaning the forceps.
- There are 20 tweezers inside the epilator head, which is significantly less than the current top epilator models. Usually, more tweezers mean a more painful pulling of the hair and thus the fewer of them the gentler it is to the skin.
- Tests have shown that the HP6420 has a fixed head and therefore there is some difficulty in following the contours of the skin. The Philips HP6420 offers two speeds, a particularly gentle epilation and one for thorough results as possible.
- Due to the lack of a battery, the Philips HP6420 feels like it will fall easily at any time. After all, it consists almost entirely of an electric motor, the epilation head, and a plastic tray. The machine does not feel good in the hand due to its peculiar shape.
- Nevertheless, it functions neatly and you do not get the impression at any one time that it is broken. In addition, due to its small size, the device does not feel hot even after prolonged use.
- Since the HP6420 is always dependent on connection to a power outlet, the epilation experience proves to be not quite as comfortable as with a wireless device. The power cord will from time to time get in the way and will obstruct the epilation process.
- Conversely, the advantage is that where there is no battery, no battery can go wrong. There are testimonies from many women that claim to have used the Philips epilator for over ten years – a lifespan that appears utopian in regards to a cordless epilator.
Philips Satinelle epilator gives you soft, smooth skin. Unlike disposable razors or depilatories, Philips Satinelle epilator removes hair from the roots and is gentle on your skin. Complete with two speed settings and an ergonomic grip for comfortable handling, this epilation system removes hair as short as 0.5 millimeter. The 21 hypoallergenic discs and a removable, washable head ensure a hygienic hair removal experience.
Step-by-step tips for using your epilator
- Prep Skin: Ensure that your skin is clean and dry before use. For first time users: start epilating in the evening so any reddening that develops can disappear overnight
- Properly angle device: Place the epilation head at a right angle 90 degrees to the skin. For first time users: try the epilator first with the efficiency cap
- Epilate: With free hand, stretching skin makes sure hairs are standing upright. Move the epilator slowly against the direction of hair growth
- Cleanup: The fully removable, washable head makes cleanup a breeze
- Satinelle corded compact epilator removes hair from legs: leaves skin smooth for weeks and saves money versus salon waxing
- Efficiently removes even the shortest hairs (up to 0.5 millimeter) from the root, though epilation is easier and more comfortable when hair is 3 to 4 millimeter
- Corded design for non stop use on dry skin: Epilating dry skin is preferred for its efficiency and picking up more hairs on the first pass
- 2 speed settings: uses lower speed in combination with efficiency cap attachment on more delicate or hard to reach areas of the body
- Washable epilation head: easy to remove and clean with water for optimal hygiene. Voltage 100 to 240 V
- Sound level: 72 dBa
How should I epilate using Philips Satinelle Advanced?
1. Fully charge device on first use: Refer to battery indicator light.
2. Trim hairs, if needed. Ideal hair length is 3-4 mm.
3. Stretch skin: With free hand, make sure hairs are standing upright.
4. Epilate: Slowly move the device against the direction of hair growth.
5. Cleanup: Run epilator under water to remove hairs.
6. After-care for skin: Apply moisturizing cream after epilation to relax your skin. Help prevent ingrown hairs by regularly using an exfoliating sponge or cream in the following weeks.
7. Just remember – epilation gets easier with regular use.
Methods of removing hair by the root can cause ingrown hairs and small skin injuries. If you are prone to these conditions, consult with your doctor before epilating.
Another negative aspect of the Philips HP6420 is in the area of the body that it can be used on. Because of the lack of appropriate attachments, the device is only appropriate for the depilation of the legs. The bikini line, underarms and even the face are no go areas with this device.
On the legs, the device does a decent job but takes a long time as you have to go repeatedly over the same area until all visible hair has been caught. It is also really loud and people with sensitive ears may not like it at all.
The Philips HP6420 is the base epilator model as its price and features show. It has no battery, cannot be used in the bathtub, it has no accessories, no flexible epilator head – we could go on and on. The price is unbeatable and if this is your first device and you do not want to spend a lot of money before you make a decision, is the right one for you.